Saturday, May 10, 2014

It's been a hell of a long couple months in my world. We (and by we, I mean my brother and sister as well,) said goodbye to my dad, who was probably one of the heroes of all of our lives whether we were willing to admit it or not. This, of course came after years of fighting Lewy Body Dementia, 5 or 6 bypasses and manifold other medical maladies. I'm kinda surprised he put ten years on his brothers, even if they weren't exactly the best years he ever could have experienced. He's at peace now, and I'm really tired, not tired like my stepmother, who was as dedicated to this man as I could ever imagine a woman being. But I did my best. And, of course, it was great to see all the cousins and others, even if we do seem to be getting together more and more often at funerals. Funerals; they're not just for grieving any more. Especially not amongst the Klobucar/Babich/Tomacs. We see how much the kids have grown, and plan when we're going to get together and drink again. It's a Klobucar thing, you wouldn't understand.

     Speaking of kids, my own daughters were in attendance yesterday, dressed to the nines, and my oldest actually talked to me, and gave me her new phone number. Sydne wasn't quite there yet. That's okay, I'll wait; she knows I love her. She's fifteen. 'Nuff said. I also learned recently that Michigan is one of the stats in which marital infidelity is a felony; meaning had I had the money and inclination to fight it, I conceivably could have put my ex behind bars and commandeered my children, but of course, those were luxuries I didn't have, and pretty much still don't. I comfort myself with the fact that Karma is a bit*h, and marital infidelity is normally not a one-shot-deal. I fully expect that not if, but WHEN it happens again, whoever else is involved will be not nearly so charitable. So, mixed emotions, and a lot of weight lifted off my shoulders, but definitely more positive. I'm still tired from a hellishly long winter, and it may be a while before I completely recuperate, but as usual, it's a "keep your head up" thing. Par for the course. If I could go one-under, I'd be thrilled.

No comments: